Richard Cooper is an experienced entomologist that offers an expertise in insects, insect biology, behavior and control. His present emphasis concerns bed bugs and their control within commercial and residential sectors. With more than 20 years of experience in entomology and the pest control industry, Richard has become nationally recognized as an expert on bed bugs and bed bug management. He has been featured as an expert in various media outlets such as on the “Early Show,” “Dateline,” NBC’s “Today Show.” Additionally, New York Mayor, Michael Bloomberg, has appointed him to the NYC Bed Bug Advisory Board.
Richard edited the Bed Bug Chapter in the pest management industry’s most well respected textbook reference, the “Mallis Handbook of Pest Control 9th Edition” and co-authored the “Bed Bug Handbook - The Complete Guide to Bed Bugs and Their Control,” which remains the only current comprehensive text on bed bug control.
Richard is currently vice president of Bed Bug Central, a website created in response to a lack of accurate information on bed bugs, and he serves as a technical director and senior entomologist at Cooper Pest Solutions. Richard also consults with other pest control companies on a variety of pest issues and serves as a consult on bed bug management programs for an array of industries including hospitality, travel, housing and real estate, and health care. He also serves as a legal consult in bed bug related litigation. Rick earned his Masters of Science in Entomology at Rutgers University and his Bachelors of Science in Entomology at the University of Delaware
Curriculum Vitae: Dr. Richard Cooper
Richard A. Cooper, Technical Director
Cooper Pest Solutions
2495 Brunswick Pike, Suite 10
Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
Cooper Pest Solutions
1986 to Lawrenceville, New Jersey
1989 and Technical Director
1991 to Staff Entomologist: Responsible for all technical aspects of operations at Cooper Present Pest Solutions.
Develops and implements training programs for staff members and pest control industry.
Develops new technologies for use in Pest Control Industry and within Cooper Pest
Solutions. Emphasis is placed on developing and implementing technologies that
reduce or eliminate exposure of pesticides to persons and animals.
Consultant working in Pest Control issues for Commercial and Residential clients
Consultant working with Chemical Manufacturers in Efficacy Research for both
EPA Registered and non-registered Products
1985 E. I. DuPont Inc.
Field Technician. Field studies on field efficacy of insecticides, herbicides and fungicides.
1983 to USDA - Beneficial Insects Research Laboratory
1984 Newark, Delaware
Field and Lab Technician. Field studies on biological control of gypsy moths.
2010 to Rutgers University
2015 New Brunswick, New Jersey
PhD in Entomology
Thesis: “Behavioral Ecology and Control of Bed Bugs in Multifamily Housing.”
1991 New Brunswick, New Jersey
Masters of Science in Entomology
Thesis: “Effect of Feeding and Nutrition on the Development and
Reproductive Physiology of German Cockroaches.”
1982 to University of Delaware
1986 Newark, Delaware
Bachelors of Science in Entomology
- Pennsylvania Pest Management Association
- New Jersey Pest Management Association
- National Pest Management Association
- Associated Pest Services
- Entomological Society of America
- Pi Chi Omega (Honorary Entomologist Society for Urban Entomologists)
- New Jersey Environmental Federation
Pesticide Applicators Licenses
New Jersey Categories 7A, 7B, 7D, 11 (Research and Demonstration) Pennsylvania Categories 11, 12
2013-ongoing: Co-PI. U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Implementation and evaluation of a model bed bug management program in low-income housing., Changlu Wang, Narinderpal Singh, and Richard Cooper
2013-ongoing: Co-PI. USDA Northeastern IPM Center. Reducing insecticide use and labor through precision bed bug IPM., C. Wang, N. Singh, R. Cooper, M. Robson
2013-2014: Co-PI. USDA IR-4 Biopesticide Program. Efficacy of essential oil based products for control of bed bugs., C. Wang, N. Singh, R. Cooper
2013 Impact of mass monitoring on low level populations. Industry gift from Washington & Oregon Pest Management Association.
2013 Using mark-release technique to study bed bug movement within apartment buildings. Norm Ehmann Urban Pest Management Award.
2012 ICE 2012 Travel Award. Entomological Society of America, MUVE Section.
2011 Understanding bed bug distribution patterns to improve effectiveness and efficiency of bed bug eradication efforts in multi-family housing. Norm Ehmann Urban Pest Management Award.
2011 State-wide bed bug eradication in low-income communities and evaluation of a model integrated pest management program EPA Grant
2011 Evaluation of Canine Scent Detection for low level bed bug infestations industry support (NJ Pest Management Association, Associated Pest Management Association, and Copesan Services)
2008 Evaluation of the effectiveness of liquid residual pesticides for use in bed bug management programs NPMA Foundation Grant
Books and Book Chapters
- Wang, C., and R.A Cooper. 2011. Environmentally sound bed bug management solutions. In P. Dhang (ed.), Urban Pest Management: An Environmental Perspective. CABI International. pp. 44-63.
- Cooper R.A. 2011. Ectoparasites Part Three: Bed Bugs & Kissing Bugs. Mallis Handbook of Pest Control Tenth ed. GIE Media Chapter 8. pp. 586-633.
- Pinto L.J., R.A. Cooper, & S. K. Kraft. 2007. Bed Bug Handbook- The Complete Guide to Bed Bugs and Their Control. Pinto & Associates. 266 pages.
- Cooper R.A. and H.A. Harlan. 2004. Ectoparasites Part Three: Bed Bugs & Kissing Bugs. Mallis Handbook of Pest Control Tenth ed. GIE Media Chapter 8. pp. 419-525. Cooper R. A. 1997. Earwigs. Mallis Handbook of Pest Control Eighth ed. Chapter 5. pp. 220-231.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Wang, C., N. Singh, C. Zah, R. Cooper,. 2016. Bed Bugs: Prevalence in Low-Income Communities, Resident’sReactions, and Implementation of a Low-Cost Inspection J. Med. Entomol. doi: 10.1093/jme/tjw018.
- Singh, N., C. Wang, and R. Cooper. 2015. Posttreatment Feeding Affects Mortality of Bed Bugs (Hemiptera: Cimicidae) Exposed to Insecticides. J. Econ. Entomol. 107 Doi: 10.1093/jee/tov293.
- Cooper, R. A., C. Wang, and N. Singh. 2015. Mark-release-recapture reveals extensive movement of bed bugs (Cimex lectularius L.) within and between apartments. PLoS One. 10: e013642. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0136462.
- Cooper, R., C. Wang, and N. Singh. 2015. Effects of various interventions, including mass trapping with passive pitfall traps, on low-level bed bug populations in apartments. J. Econ. Entomol. 108: 1-8. doi: 10.1093/jee/tov337.
- Singh, N., C. Wang, and R. Cooper. 2014. Potential of essential oil-based pesticides and detergents for bed bug control. J. Econ. Entomol. 107: 2163–2170.
- Singh, N., C. Wang, and R. Cooper. 2015a. Effectiveness of a sugar-yeast monitor and a chemical lure for detecting bed bugs. J. Econ. Entomol. 108. Doi: 10.1093/jee/tov061.
- Wang, C., N. Singh, and R. Cooper. 2015. Field study of the comparative efficacy of three pyrethroid/neonicotinoid mixture products for the control of the common bed bug, Cimex lectualarius. Insects. In Press.
- Singh, N., C. Wang, and R. Cooper. 2015. Role of vision and mechanoreception in bed bug, Cimex lectularius L. PLoS ONE 10: e0118855. Doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0118855.
- Cooper, R., C. Wang, and N. Singh. 2015. Evaluation of a model community-wide bed bug management program in affordable housing. Pest Mangmt. Sci. DOI 10.1002/ps.3982
- Cooper, R., C. Wang, and N. Singh. 2014. Accuracy of trained canines for detecting bed bugs (Hemiptera: Cimicidae). J. Econ. Entomol. 107(6) 2171-2181.
- Wang, C., N. Singh, and R. Cooper. 2014. Efficacy of an essential oil-based pesticide for controlling bed bug (Cimex lectularius) infestations in apartment buildings. Insects 5: 849-859.
- Singh, N., C. Wang, and R. Cooper. 2014. Potential of essential oil-based pesticides and detergents for bed bug control. J. Econ. Entomol. 107(6) 2163-2170.
- Singh, N., C. Wang, and R. Cooper. 2013. Effectiveness of a reduced-risk insecticide based bed bug management program in low-income housing. Insects 4: 731-742
- Wang C., N. Singh, R. Cooper, and C. Liu, and G. Buczkowski. 2013. Evaluation of an Insecticide Dust Band Treatment Method for Controlling Bed Bugs J. Econ. Entomol. 106(1): 347-352.
- Singh, N., C. Wang, and R. Cooper. 2013. Effect of trap design, chemical lure, carbon dioxide release rate, and source of carbon dioxide on efficacy of bed bug monitors. J. Econ. Entomol. 106: 1802–1811.
- Singh, N., C. Wang, R. Cooper, and C. Liu.. 2012. Interactions among carbon dioxide, heat and chemical lures in attracting the bed bug, Cimex lectularius L. (Hemiptera: Cimicidae). Psyche. doi:10.1155/2012/273613
- Wang, C., Tsai, W., Cooper, R and J. White. 2011. Effectiveness of Bed Bug Monitors for Detecting and Trapping Bed Bugs in Apartments. J. Econ. Entomol. 104(1) 274-278.
- Cooper, R. A. & C. Schal, 1992. Differential development and reproduction of the German cockroach (Dictyoptera: Blattellidae) on three laboratory diets. J. Econ. Entomol. 85(3): 838-884.
- Cooper, R. A. & C. Schal, 1992. Effects of protein type and concentration on development and reproduction of the German cockroach, Blattella gerrmanica. Entomol. exp. appl. 63: 123-134.
- Steltenkamp, R. J., R. L. Hamilton., R. A. Cooper., C. Schal. 1992. Alkyl and Aryl Neoalkanamides: Highly Effective Insect Repellents. Journal Medical Entomol. 29(2) 141-149
- Hamilton, R. L., R. A. Cooper & C. Schal, 1990. The influence of nymphal and adult dietary protein on food intake and reproduction in female brown banded cockroaches. Entomol. exp. appl. 55: 23-31.
Non-refereed journal articles
- Wang, C., R. Cooper. 2016. Research Update:Portable Heat Chambers. Pest Control Technology 44(3): 57, 59-61.
- Cooper, R. 2014. Stop bed bugs in their tracks. Pest Control Technology 42(8): 102, 104, 106.
- Wang, C., N. Singh and R. Cooper 2014. What causes bed bug control failure? The resident factor. Pest Control Technology 42(8): 86, 89-90, 92-93.
- Wang, C., N. Singh, R. Cooper, C. Scherer. Baiting for success. 2013. Pest Control Technology 41(7): 60-64.
- Singh, N., C. Wang, R. Cooper. 2013. Natural pesticides for bed bug control: Do they work? Pest Control Technology 41(3): 28, 30, 32. [30% writing and contribution of ideas]
- Cooper, R., C. Wang, N. Singh. 2012. Canine Scent Detection: Their effectiveness and pitfalls. National Conference on Urban Entomology Proceedings. Atlanta, GA. 141-142.
- Singh, N., C. Wang, and R. Cooper. 2013. Natural pesticides for bed bug control: Do they work? Pest Control Technol. March 41(3): pp. 28-29.
- Wang, C., and R. Cooper. 2012. The future of bed bug monitoring. Pestworld (January/February): 1-6.
- Wang, C., R. Cooper. 2011. Detection tools and technologies. Pest Control Technology 39(8): 72, 74, 76, 78-79, 112.
- Cooper, R. A. 2010. “Bed Bugs in Office Buildings: The Ultimate Challenge” Supplement in Pest Control Technology Magazine (PCT) February 2010.
- Cooper, R. A. 2009. “The Changing World of Bed Bug Detection” Apartment Industry Magazine (AIM) April-May
- Cooper, R. A. 2008. “Bed Bug: Not New Anymore, Getting Out In Front of the Problem” Apartment Industry Magazine (AIM) April-May
- Cooper, R. A. 2007. “Four-Legged Detectives.” Pest Control Magazine, August.
- Cooper, R. A. 2007. “Don’t Let the Bed Bugs Bite Your Business” Progressive Rentals Magazine August-September
- Cooper, R. A. 2007. “Bed Bugs and Developing Your Strategy” Apartment Industry Magazine (AIM) April-May
- Cooper, R. A. 2007. “To Inspect or Not to Inspect That is the Question” Apartment Industry Magazine (AIM) June-July
- Cooper, R. A. 2007. “Just Encase: Mattress and box spring encasements can serve as an essential tool in effective bed bug management” Pest Control Magazine, April.
- Cooper, R. A. 2007. ”Are Bed Bug Dogs Up To Snuff?” Pest Control Magazine, January.
- Cooper R. A. 2007. “Bed Bugs The Truth.” New Jersey Property Owners Association March
- Cooper R. A. 2006. Hospitality Law Newsletter Commentary on “Guests Bed Bug Claim Goes to Trial” July
- Cooper R. A. 1999. IPM: Have we Created a Monster. PCT Magazine October Issue pp. 42-50
- Cooper R. A., & D. Guarino, 1996. Integrated Pest Management, Science Alliance Teaching Module. Somerset/Hunterdon Business & Education Partnership. Pp 1-65.
- Shaheen L. & R. A. Cooper, 1995. Real World IPM. Pest Control Mag., Eastern Conf.Show Guide.
- National Conference on Urban Entomology - Doctoral award presentation: Using mark-releaserecapture technique to study bed bug movement. San Antonio, TX. 2014
- Entomological Society of America Annual meeting - MUVE Symposium: Importance of detection and insights into population distribution in multifamily housing. Knoxville, TN 2014
- Entomological Society of America Annual Meeting – invited speaker bed bug research symposium. Knoxville, TN November 2012
- International Congress of Entomology - invited speaker bed bug research symposium. Daegu, S. Korea. August 2012
- Entomological Society of America Eastern Branch Meeting – invited speaker on Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs. Harrisburg, PA March 2011
- NJ Mosquito Control Association Annual Meeting – invited speaker on bed bugs. Atlantic City, NJ March 2011
- Entomological Society of America Annual Meeting – invited speaker bed bug research symposium. Knoxville, TN Reno November 2011
- National Conference on Urban Entomology – invited speaker bed bug research symposium. Atlanta, GA. May 2012
- National Conference on Urban Entomology – invited speaker bed bug research symposium. Portland, OR. May 2010
- International IPM Meeting Invited Speaker: IPM in Bed Bug Management Portland OR 2009
- Entomological Society of America Annual Meeting – invited speaker Non Chemical Advancements in the Control of Bed Bugs – the use of encasements San Diego, CA Dec 2007
- National Environmental Health Association Annual Meeting: Bed Bugs June 2007
- Entomological Society of America Eastern Branch Meeting – invited speaker on Bed Bugs Harrisburg, PA March 2007
- Rutgers University Cooperative Extension – Public Health & Pest Control Operators Meeting – Bed Bugs November 2007
- Rutgers University Entomology Department Seminar – Bed Bugs & IPM New Brunswick, NJ June 2006
- Entomological Society of America Eastern Branch Meeting – invited speaker on Beyond Fear Factor Symposia Harrisburg, PA March 2005
- Entomological Society of America Annual Meeting – invited speaker Bed bug symposia – Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. Dec. 2005
- National Conference on Urban Entomology – invited speaker bed bugs Phoenix, AZ Atlanta, GA. May 2004
- Entomological Society of America Eastern Branch Meeting – invited speaker on Ant Management. Atlantic City March 2003
Government Agency Presentations
- United States Department of Housing (US HUD). Bed Bug Seminar/Webinar for Field Agents. Washington, DC September 2015
- State of NJ DCA – Training of Code Enforcement Inspectors (Bed Bugs) 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013
- EPA Bed Bug 2nd Summit: Invited Speaker on Expert Panel – Washington, DC Feb 2011
- USDA Brown Marmorated Stink Bug Working Group Meeting – invited speaker Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs as an Urban Pest. Kearneysville, WV June 2010.
- EPA Bed Bug Summit: Invited Speaker on Expert Panel – Washington, DC April 2009
- New Hampshire Department of Agriculture. Invited speaker Bed Bugs: Research and Management Updates. December 2009
- Tri Agency Meeting - EPA, State Regulators & Cooperative Extension, New Brunswick, NJ September 2008
- New Jersey Environmental Health Annual Meeting Bed Bugs New Brunswick, NJ Sept. 2006
- Monmouth County Health Department – Bed Bug Seminar. Monmouth, NJ November 2006
- New Jersey Environmental Health Annual Meeting Bed Bugs & IPM Atlantic City, NJ Sept. 2005
- Maine Department of Agriculture: Bed Bugs, IPM in Schools & Commercial Structures 2005
- EPA Region 2 Conference – Invited speaker on Urban IPM New Brunswick, NJ September 1998
Trade Association Presentations
- University of Georgia Getting the Best of Pests Webinar Series – Behavioral Ecology and Contorl of Bd Bugs 2016
- Kentucky Pest Control Short Course – Bed Bug Research: What I Have Learned. Lexington, KY 2015
- Maryland Interstate Pest Management Conference - Keynote presentation: Applying research to bed bug management Tinicum, MD 2015
- Global Bed Bug Summit – Getting control of bed bugs when client cooperation is less than ideal. Denver, CO January 2015
- Asian Pest Summit - Sustainable bed bug management in affordable housing communities. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 2014
- NY State Pest Annual Pest Management Conference. Insect ID for the Non Entomologist. New Rochelle, NY March 2013.
- Pacific Northwest Pest Management Conference. Insect ID for the Non Entomologist. Portland, OR. March 2013.
Associated Pest Services Winter Meeting, New York, Manhattan: Bed Bug Updates: Applying Research Findings February 2012
- 2nd National Bed Bug Summit. Invited speaker on education panel – Washington DC February 2011
- National Pest Management Bed Bug Forum: Invited speaker on Bed Bug Detection Panel - Bed Bugs: The Universe of Detection - Denver, CO. – January 2011
- National Industrial Hygiene Conference - Expert Panel: Bed Bug Invasion: Public Health Ramifications and Control – December 2010
- Hospitality Interactive Webinar - What every Hotelier needs to know about Bed Bugs! November 2010
- New Jersey Pest Management Fall Meeting – Bed Bugs: Edison, NJ September 2010
- North American Bed Bug Summit – Bed Bugs in Group Transient Settings- Chicago, Il. September 2010
- Corporate Housing Providers Association (CHPA) Webinar - Bed Bugs: Fighting the bed bug battle. March 2010
- Hospitality Lawyer Conference. Houston, TX Panel with Dr. Christian Hardigree: Bed Bugs: Don’t Let Bed Bugs Bite You in Court, What You Need to Know. February 2010
- Nevada Pest Control Association: Invited speaker Bed Bug Management. January 2010
- Greater Chicago Pest Management Meeting. Invited speaker Bed Bugs: Everything that You Need to Know. November 2009.
- Target Spec. Products. Invited speaker: Bed Bug Update. Seattle WA, and Portland OR November 2009.
- International Flight Attendants Association. Invited speaker: Bed Bugs: Not New Anymore, Getting Ahead of the Problem. Miami, Florida October 2009
- Virginia Pest Management Association. Invited speaker. Bed Bugs: The Challenge Continues. October 2009
- National Bed Bug Seminar Invited Speaker - Newark NJ & Seattle Washington 2009. Seminar cosponsored by the American Hotel & Lodging Association, National Apartment Association, National Pest Management Association and Association of Pesticide Regulatory Officials
- NJ Pest Management Association State Meeting: Invited speaker Carpenter Ant Control August 2009
- Pest Control Technology Bed Bug Seminar with Dr. Christian Hardigree (UNLV): Orlando August 2009
- Northwest Pacific Pest Management Meeting: Bed Bugs – Portland OR 2009
- Illinois Pest Management Meeting: Bed Bugs – Springfield Illinois 2009
- Associated Pest Service, Ft. Lauderdale Florida: Bed Bug Updates January 2009
- Maryland Interstate Pest Control Conference: Bed Bug Research Updates January 2009
- New England Pest Management: Bed Bugs: Everything you need to know, Boston October 2009
- Arkansas Pest Management Meeting- Bed Bugs September of 2008
- National Bed Bug Seminar Series with Dr. Michael Potter (U of K) & Christian Hardigree (UNLV): San Francisco, Atlanta & Washington DC Seminar series July & August 2008
- New Jersey Apartment Association Annual Education Meeting Bed Bugs May 2008
- Minnesota Pest Management Meeting: Bed Bugs Bed Bugs and Carpenter Ants - March 2008
- Michigan State Pest Management Meeting: Bed Bugs February 2008
- Purdue Pest Control Conference: Bed Bugs January 2008
- North Carolina Pest Management Association: Bed Bugs January 2008
- Association of Professional Rental Organizations- National Meeting Reno Nevada: Bed Bugs September 2007
- National Bed Bug Seminar Series with Dr. Michael Potter (U of K) & Christian Hardigree (UNLV): NYC & Las Vegas August & September 2007
- NJ Pest Management Association Annual Education Clinic – Bed Bugs- Things that may not be readily apparent. August 2007
- NJ Apartment Association: Bed Bug Workshop – Bed Bugs: What you need to know but may wish you never heard. July 2007
- Family Services Association, NJ State Education Meeting Owners of Group Homes, June 2007
- NJ Apartment Association Annual Education Meeting: Bed Bugs May 2007
- NJ Property Owners Association (PONJ): Bed Bugs shared presentation with Attorney Timothy Wenk, Shafer Glazer March 2007
- Minnesota Pest Management Meeting: Bed Bugs (March 2007)
- The Rental Industry Buyers Group (TRIB) Meeting of the Minds in Atlanta, GA Bed Bugs March 2007
- NJ Apartment Association: 3 Hour Bed Bug Seminar - Jan 2007
- Maryland Interstate Conference Keynote Presentation on Bed Bugs January 2007
- North Carolina Pest Management Association: Insect ID for the Non-Entomologist January 2007
- Pennsylvania Pest Management Association Annual Meeting: Bed Bugs November 2006
- Connecticut Apartment Association Annual Meeting: Bed Bugs November 2006
- Nova Scotia, Canada Annual Pest Management Conference: Bed Bugs October 2006
- University of Kentucky: Pest Management Short Course Bed Bugs October 2006
- National Pest Management Association: Bed Bugs (October 2006 National Meeting)
- Northeast Integrated Pest Management Meeting Boxborough, MA July 2006
- National Pest Management Association: Bed Bug Expert Panel, Jan 2006
- Purdue University: Bed Bugs: Complicated Situations Jan 2006
- Pennsylvania Pest Management Annual Meeting: Bed Bug Management November 2005
- National Pest Management: Newark, NJ Bed Bug Workshop 2005
- National Pest Management Association: Expert Panel on Bed Bugs 2005
- British Columbia Pest Management Conference: Carpenter Ants- An exterior Approach & Pest Identification for the Non Entomologist 2005
- Wisconsin Pest Management Conference: Cockroach Management & Insect ID 2005
- Minnesota Pest Management Meeting: Carpenter Ant – Exterior Approach
- Pennsylvania Pest Management Association’s Annual Meeting: Structurally Invading Ants 2005
- Ant Management Summit, Atlanta, GA 2004
- University of Kentucky Short Course, Lexington KY 2003
- National Pest Management Meeting, Orlando Florida 2002
- Aventis/Pest Control Technology Tick Control Symposium, Jacksonville Florida -2002
- Alliance for Environmental Concerns Ann. Meeting (speaker & panel member 1999) Termite Control Technology. Purdue University Lafayette Indiana. Dec 2001
- Aventis/Pest Control Technology Ant Symposium, Phoenix Arizona -2001
- Pennsylvania Pest Control Assoc. 2001
- University of Maryland, Interstate Pest Control Conference Univ. of Maryland 2000, 2005
- University of California, California Pest Control Association – Univ. Calif. Riverside 1999 Purdue University, Purdue Pest Control - Conference 1999, 2001
Other Miscellaneous Presentations
- Mid-Manhattan Library lecture series – Bed Bugs: What you don’t know could come back to bite you. May 2010
- New Jersey Environmental Federation & NJDEP: School IPM Training Outreach Presentations 2005
- Audubon Society/Sierra Club: Bed Bugs and other emerging pest issues 2003 New Jersey Environmental Federation Annual Meeting 1995, 1996, 1998
Appointments and Honors
- 2014 PHD Scholarship National Conference on Urban Entomology (NCUE)
- 2013 First Place Graduate Student Colloquium, Rutgers University Entomology Department 2012 ESA travel award for International Congress of Entomology Daegu, South Korea.
- 2012 Compton Markel Award Rutgers University
- 2011 Runk Scholarship Rutgers University
- 2010 Headlee Fellowship for Ph.D. bed bug research. Rutgers University, New Brunswick New Jersey
- 2010 Appointed to USDA Brown Marmorated Stink Bug Working Group
- 2009 Appointed by NYC Mayor Bloomberg to the NYC Bed Bug Advisory Board
- 2009 EPA Bed Bug Initiative – Invited as Speaker on EPA Panel
- 2003-2006 NPMA Quality Pro Technical Committee
- 2003 Developed NJ IPM Credentialing Exam
- 2003 Advisory Committee for National Pest Management Quality Pro Initiative (Establishment of Pest Control Industries version of “Good Seal”
- 2003 Received the PCT 40 under 40 award. Recognizes leaders in the industry whom are 40 years old or younger
- 2001 Received Pest Control Technology Leadership Award: Recognized as one of the 10 most influential persons in the Pest Management Industry
- 2002 Member of the National Pest Control Project Development Council Committee General Pest Control
- 2001 Member of IPM in Schools committee for National Pest Management Association (Project Development Council).
- 2001 Invited to attend Scientific Symposium on Termites, Purdue University. The purpose of this conference to set Research Objectives for the future of 2000 Member of planning committee for the International Conference for Urban Pests to be held in 2002
- 2000 Committee member for National Pest Management Association Project Development Council on IPM in Schools.
- 1997-98 Chairperson of National Pest Control Project Development Council Committee on Fumigation and New Technologies.
- 1997 Invited to attend Scientific Symposium on Baiting of Cockroaches and Ants. The purpose of this conference to set Research Objectives for the future of Bait Technology in Roaches and Ants. Purdue University Lafayette Indiana.
- 1990-1992 received Fellowship for Master’s Thesis Research on German Cockroaches. Rutgers University, New Brunswick New Jersey
- National Public Radio Interview about Bed Bugs with Marty Moss-Coain “Radio Times Show”, September 2, 2010
- CBS The Early Show as an expert on bed bugs NYC 2010
- National Public Radio, The Leonard Lopate Show: Bed Bugs & Roaches– New York City 2009
- National Public Radio, The Leonard Lopate Show: Bed Bugs – New York City 2006
- Pod Cast Interview: Response to University of Kentucky news release on Pesticide Resistance in Bed Bugs; Pest Control Magazine September 2006
- 2009 The Dr. Oz Show with Dr. Dini Miller – topic bed bugs
- NBC’s The Today Show as an expert on bed bugs with Mat Lauer NYC 2008
- Dateline- Bed Bugs - Reconditioned Mattress Story Aired April 20,2008
- National Public Radio, Interview on Bed Bugs March 2007
- 2005 Discovery Channel Bed Bug segment
- National Public Radio Leonard Lopate Show Interview on Bed Bugs 2004